Mushroom Intoxication

Snacking on mushrooms in the yard caused Walter some problems.

Vet Bill: $1,278

Walter - Samoyed

Background

The mushrooms in Walter's backyard looked to him like a delicious snack. Unfortunately for Walter, some mushrooms can be toxic and he soon found himself at the emergency hospital.

Walter's mom, Krista, shares his story:

"Curious Walter was caught eating mushrooms in the backyard on a sunny Saturday evening. Shortly after, he was vomiting a lot and noticeably very nauseous. Since it was Saturday, the vet recommended taking him to the emergency hospital. At the hospital, the vet informed us that some mushroom are toxic and could cause liver damage, so medicine would need to be administered to keep the toxins away and an overnight stay was necessary to give Walter fluids because, at this point, he was very dehydrated. He was a little rowdy in the back room, but after a good night’s rest, the medicine kicked in and all Walter’s toxin levels went back to normal.

The hospital bill totaled almost $1,300, but we had comfort knowing that Embrace would be there to help. We submitted the claim a few days after the incident and the reimbursement quickly followed. We were impressed by the Embrace team's reaction and sense of urgency in closing this claim and getting us the reimbursement.

Walter is now back to his silly self and his family is very thankful to the entire hospital staff and the Embrace team!"

Walter's Claim Refund

Claim Details Amount
Actual Vet Bill $1,278.00
Covered Charges $1,278.00
Annual Deductible -$300.00
20% Co-pay -$195.60
Total Embrace Reimbursement $782.40