Morris the Newfoundland Swallows a Rock
Morris' rock racked up substantial vet bills.
Vet Bill: $1,883
Mischievous Morris was on a family holiday in Michigan, to a Newfoundland reunion of all things. Morris had a marvelous time, meeting friends and swimming in the lake. But then, on the drive home, he began vomiting. The vet ruled out carsickness, but thought maybe he'd had too much fun with his Newfie pals.
A few days later Morris was still not on the mend, so back to the vet he went. The vet tested for Giardia, which was positive. His folks were relieved to have an answer, but a week after that he was still sick. Another trip to the vet and x-rays showed good news and bad news. The good news was that it was treatable. The bad news: there was a large rock lodged in Morris's gut! Since Morris loves to carry around his favorite things, he must have swallowed it while swimming! Morris was immediately taken to surgery for emergency rock removal.
Morris’s mom Amy writes:
"He spent the night at a veterinary referral center being monitored and having small amounts of food introduced to him, and thankfully came home to us the next morning. Aside from his disdain at wearing the cone of shame, he did great throughout recovery. Our Embrace premiums definitely paid for themselves with this series of events and we are so thankful we made the decision to obtain pet insurance and that we have our lovable furball to give us kisses whenever we want them (or don't want them). P.S. We still have the rock!"
Morris’ Claim Refund
|Actual Vet Bill||$1,882.57|
|Total Embrace Reimbursement||$1,071.29|
*Part of Amy’s $500 deductible had already been met with an unrelated elbow injury. Portions of Morris’s surgery costs were for an unrelated gastropexy that they opted for while he was anesthetized, a preventative procedure not covered by his plan.