Who can sell pet insurance in the US?

We get quite a few people contacting us about selling pet insurance in the US. Most people aren't aware that you have to be licensed to sell it.

By US law, pet insurance must be sold by a licensed insurance broker, just like all insurance products. But what kind of insurance broker? The answer is a property/casualty insurance broker.

But isn't pet insurance health insurance? Well, yes, it is very similar to human health insurance in the way that it acts, but by US law, pets are property and insurance for losses caused to property fall under property/casualty insurance, specifically the inland marine category.

Here's an interesting fact for you: inland marine happens to be the insurance classification where all your household goods fit, so ironically, your cat or dog gets treated the same way as your fur coat does in the eyes of insurance law.

Talk about an odd world!

While you can't predict when your pet is going to get sick or injured, you can protect yourself from expensive veterinary bills. Embrace Pet Insurance gives you the freedom to do what’s best for your pet without stressing over the cost. Easily personalize your coverage to fit your budget and your pet’s needs, then visit any vet for nose-to-tail coverage. Check out what the Embrace plan covers or compare pet insurance providers to learn more.