Foreign Body Ingestion - Electrical Cord and Toys

Bodhi the Labrador Retriever sure did pick the wrong snacks!

Vet Bill: $1,190

Bodhi-Labrador-Retriever

Background

Jeremy brought his Labrador Retriever, Bodhi, home when he was just 7 weeks old. He immediately took out a policy with Embrace Pet Insurance after a bad experience with another insurance provider. Jeremy had lost his previous Labrador to a vary rare illness, and the medical bills totaled over $12,000, but he was only reimbursed about $3,000.

Jeremy soon discovered that Bodhi has an insatiable appetite and not just for food. In his first 8 months, Bodhi ate an electrical cord and possibly suffered an electric shock. He was taken to Gold Coast Animal Hospital in Chicago and an X-ray showed no real harm done. In October 2009, less than a month later, Bodhi also ate one of Jeremy's daughter's toys. Jeremy immediately took him to Chicago Veterinary Emergency Specialists where he underwent a barium study. Luckily, there was no obvious obstruction so Bodhi did not require surgery.

Bodhi's Claim Refund

Claim Details Amount
Actual Vet Bill $1,190.00
Covered Charges $1,172.00
Annual Deductible -$0.00
20% Co-pay -$234.40
Total Embrace Reimbursement $937.60
*Bodhi had already met his deductible for the year with a prior claim.