Compare Embrace to Trupanion
We've prepared below a list of the most important comparison points between Embrace and Trupanion. The two companies may look similar at a glance, but there are a few points to consider before deciding where to place your money and your trust.
| || || || || |
| ||Coverage for Office Visits || || || |
| ||Annual Deductible || || || |
| ||Wellness & Routine Care Plans || || || |
| ||Alternative Therapy Coverage || || Costs extra || |
| ||Premium Increases Over Time || || || |
| ||Extra Fees || || || |
| ||Policy Term ||12 Months ||1 Month || |
| ||A.M. Best Rating ||A+ ||Not Rated || |
Reimbursement for Veterinary Exam Fees
Embrace reimburses you for veterinary exam fees, Trupanion does not, leaving you with a gap in your coverage.
Office visit and exam fees are a major part of your veterinary bill. Exam fees at specialty and emergency hospitals can often cost $100 or more. Not having coverage for office visits is like having an extra deductible each time you go to the veterinarian.
Annual Deductible or Per-incident Deductible
Embrace uses an annual deductible, Trupanion uses a per-incident deductible.
An annual deductible needs to be met only once per year, regardless of how many claims you make. Plans with a per-incident deductible require you to pay a new deductible each time you visit the vet for a new condition. If your pet has an unlucky year, your out-of-pocket costs could be higher by a few hundred dollars due to the per-incident deductible.
Wellness & Routine Care Coverage
Embrace offers Wellness Rewards, a standalone routine care plan to help you pay for regular visits to your veterinarian. Trupanion currently does not offer a Wellness Plan. Embrace promotes, rewards and encourages healthy pets.
Alternative Therapy Coverage
Here at Embrace we provide one simple comprehensive plan to cover your pet's medical expenses. When it comes to treatment we want you to be able to consider any and all options presented by your veterinarian, which is why we cover alternative therapy standard. Trupanion charges an additional premium for their Rider A package that covers alternative therapies.
Premium Increases Over Time
Don't be tricked by tactics claiming your pet's premiums won't increase with age. Trupanion has filed large double digit increases with multiple departments of insurance. While they say premiums don't go up due to age, that hasn't prevented them from doubling some policy holders'rates. Embrace does have age-related increases of about 10% starting at age 5. Typically vet clinics also increase their rates 5% for inflation each year. Combined you would see a 15% increase in this example, which is much less then some of the 100%+ increases customers have seen with Trupanion. Trupanion increases on: Yelp (look at the filtered reviews at the bottom) Facebook PIR #1 PIR #2 California 52% Florida 32%
Embrace prides itself on having no annual fees and no monthly payment fees. Trupanion charges a $35 fee to each pet parent pays when they sign up.
When you sign up for a pet insurance policy with Embrace your rate and coverage are locked-in for a full year from the date you purchase. Trupanion policies are monthly contracts where rates or other changes can be made with a short notice.
Embrace is underwritten by American Modern Insurance Group (AMIG), rated A+ (Superior) by A. M. Best. Fewer than 10% of all property and casualty insurance companies in the country hold this distinction. Trupanion underwrites its own policies and the company is not currently rated by A. M. Best.
This comparison of Trupanion pet insurance plans and coverage was wholly prepared by Embrace Pet Insurance Agency and was last updated in February 2013. If you have questions about Trupanion's plans, prices, or coverage we encourage you to contact a representative of Trupanion.