October 10, 2014
Most folks agree that there’s nothing sweeter than kids with pets, but it’s not always easy to have both. Many of us at Embrace have both four and two legged little ones at home, and we know that the balance can be a bit tricky sometimes. Managing everyone’s’ needs for exercise, care, and attention, while integrating animals and children safely requires some skill. We’ve checked in with Dr. Mahaney to help you keep everyone happy, healthy, and safe.
Dr. Mahaney helps us with the following questions:
What's the best way to build positive experiences for kids to help them reduce their fears surrounding pets?
- Are there any illnesses parents should be worried about kids passing to pets or vice versa?
- What's the best way to get a pup ready for new baby?
- Any good tricks to keep the dogs from swiping the baby's toys besides the obvious solution of storage? A lot of them squeak the same.
- What is your best advice for teaching kids and pets how to be "gentle" with each other, while encouraging interaction?
Click on the link below to hear the audio:
October 02, 2014
I am now coming up on my double nickel birthday, 55. Wow, how did that happen? Time surely flies. When I look back, I tend to divide my life into sections, according to the dog I had at that time. Animals live your life; they age with you; they share your special moments. In my grade school days there was Tuffy, a reported purebred Fox Terrier that grew up to be a 50 pound version of a yellow Lab. (Funny, the breeder moved out of town a week after they sold Tuffy to my Dad. Hmm….) In my high school days, it was Yankee Boy, an abandoned Pekingese, a feisty little guy that my brother saved from a vet’s boarding kennel. Finally, in my college days I had Stewy and Ryan, two strays that patiently endured my many examinations as I progressed through vet school. I could not imagine my childhood and early adulthood without those pets. They were my friends. They understood me. They brought so much happiness to my life.
September 30, 2014
We’ve always had a soft spot for senior pets at Embrace but, unfortunately, our age limits didn’t always reflect it. Senior pets hoping to enroll were limited to Accident-only coverage causing many multi-pet households with senior pets to look elsewhere so they could get full accident and illness coverage for all their pets with the same carrier.
Our first senior pet, a 12 year old Siamese named Waffle, joined the Embrace family in late July.
Thankfully, times have changed! We’re proud to announce that cats and dogs age 14 and younger can now enroll with full accident and illness coverage. 9 year old Great Dane? 13 year old Tabby? 10 year old Yorkie? Sign them up! Pets who enroll with full coverage keep it for life, we never drop coverage as a pet ages or if you submit claims.
September 29, 2014
Kayden & Stella
Ah, kids and pets, two of my great loves. I was watching this morning as my two-year old daughter, Stella, was playing on her play set, while my Pit Bull mix, Kayden, looked up at her lovingly. He simply adores her. He tolerates her tantrums and her extreme, sometimes aggressive, love all with the same stoicism. Her grandparents remark that no one would ever get a chance to hurt Stella if Kayden were watching. I love that she’s got a companion and guardian all in one.
September 17, 2014
It’s National Pet Insurance month and when you want to learn about all things pet insurance, you go to the experts. We’re still waiting for the day when Laura Bennett is asked to do a TEDtalk on pet insurance, but in the meantime, listen in as she and Dr. Patrick Mahaney answer your questions on everything from top claims to alternative therapies.
Laura shares with us:
What is the (estimated) number or percentage of pet owners in the U.S. who have insurance for their pets?
- What are Embrace’s top canine and feline health claims?
- What are the main reasons pet owners give for establishing health insurance for their cats and dogs?
- Why should a pet owner get pet insurance (ability to have pet undergo diagnostics, treatment, etc.)?
- Does the typical pet owner keep their pet on Embrace insurance throughout the pet's life?
- Does Embrace cover any pre-existing conditions?
- Does Embrace cover complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), such as acupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractic, etc.?
And, Dr. Mahaney tells us what veterinarians think about pet insurance and how it has changed over recent years.